Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Ode to Daniel



So I'm developing a little bit of a crush on Daniel Day-Lewis. I just can't get over how fucking amazing he is. Watching him give his acceptance speech at the Critics' Choice Awards last night, I was glued to the screen. I just couldn't believe this was the same guy behind characters like Daniel Plainview and Bill the Butcher. Now, the world is filled with amazing actors but I don't think I've ever encountered one who disappears more fully into his roles. Even with great character actors like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Adrien Brody, and Russell Crowe, it is still possible to recognize the actor inside the character. With Daniel Day-Lewis, I am in disbelief every single time. I don't know how he does it. It really is magical.

Here are three videos that help illustrate my point. The first is an interview with Daniel himself, the second a trailer for There Will Be Blood and the third a scene from Gangs of New York. Watching them back to back totally blows my mind. If any one person ever inspired me to want to become an actor, it's Daniel Day-Lewis, no question. And I thank him immensely for that.





2 comments:

Miss Organizized said...

And then of course there's LOTM...again, completely different!
It's amazing...

and this is pretty crazy too:
In the Name of the Father

Amanda said...

Awww I love him so much!! In the Name of the Father is the best.