Wednesday, January 9, 2008

DGA nods announced

I must say, the Directors Guild did good this year. Big props to my man Tony Gilroy who managed to snag a nod over Joe Wright, Tim Burton, Sidney Lumet, Mike Nichols, and Ridley Scott. That was a very pleasant surprise to me. I know a lot of people don't *get* the buzz surrounding Michael Clayton. However, if you've seen the Bourne trilogy in its entirety, you have to admit that Tony Gilroy is a genius. So what marvelous company is Mr. Gilroy sharing you ask?

And the nominees are...

Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men



Sean Penn, Into the Wild



Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly



Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton



Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood



Now since the DGA's inception, I believe there have only been six cases where the DGA winner did NOT go on to win the Academy Award for Best Director. I really think this year is going to be the seventh. As I discussed with my sis last night, I'm going to go ahead and say that the DGA will reward Paul Thomas Anderson with the prize while the Academy will give it to the Coen brothers. But however it shakes down, I don't think I'll be disappointed. This was a phenomenal year for filmmaking and I feel privileged just to have been in the audience.

No comments: