Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Listen you f**kers, you screwheads...

Yes, I am one of those idiots who will buy a special edition DVD when it comes out even if I already own the regular version. Why do I do it? Because I'm a film-buff/film-snob/film-obsessed neurotic. I need to have the best of the best in my collection especially when it comes to the classics. But honestly, everyone should have the best of the best in their collections. Some of these movies are more than just movies. Case and point: Taxi Driver.



The Taxi Driver: Two-Disc Collector's Edition came out yesterday. I probably would have been completely oblivious except I stumbled upon a fantastic review of it in EW and now, of course, I *must* have it. Thanks E-dubs! Always reeling me in. I think I can be forgiven for this one though considering it was the single motion picture that convinced me to study film in college. I'm also entertaining the idea of making a Scorsese film companion similar to the one I'm currently writing about Alfred Hitchcock. The DVD would definitely serve as excellent research material considering the special features are so exhaustive.

Martin Scorsese on Taxi Driver" Featurette
"Producing Taxi Driver" Featurette
"Influence and Appreciation" Documentary
Robert De Niro, Oliver Stone, Roger Corman and others pay tribute to Scorsese and the film
"God’s Lonely Man" Documentary
"Travis’ New York Locations" Featurette
Storyboard to Film Comparisons with Martin Scorsese Introduction
New Feature-length Commentary by Writer Paul Schrader
New Feature-length Commentary by Professor Robert Kolker
"Taxi Driver Stories" Featurette
"Making Taxi Driver" Documentary
Animated Photo Galleries
"Including Scorsese at Work" Photo Montage
Original Screenplay Read Along


Special features, especially the ones featured here, are exciting. They really are. To gain insight into the filmmaking processes of these cinematic classics is an amazing experience and quite a privilege as well. Most people couldn't give a shit about special features but they should. It's an opportunity to appreciate a film on a greater level. So I say pay the extra $5 or take the time to rent that second disc. Even if you aren't a film buff/film snob/film-obsessed neurotic, you too could stand to learn a thing or two about the fabulously wonderful world of cinema.

1 comment:

Eric Grubbs said...

Is it me, or is Scorcese (along with Spielberg and Woody Allen) against doing commentary tracks? The Last Waltz commentary track doesn't count since it's an interview with him mixed with Robbie Robertson's commentary.