Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum



The only thing better on this planet than a truly kick ass action thriller is a truly kick ass action thriller with soul. The Bourne films do it oh so right and the third and perhaps final installment was one of those rare movies that made me want to leap out of my seat and dance around while "Age of Aquarius" blared from the heavens. As the hot, pulsating beats of Moby's "Extreme Ways" played from the theater speakers I just couldn't get up. Sometimes I will sit through the credits but very rarely when I see movies alone. I simply cannot bear that dreaded moment when the ushers *think* the theater is empty, walk in, see that you are the only person keeping them from their cleaning duties and thus force you out with their silent yet menacing silhouettes. Yesterday though, I couldn't have given shit. I was sucked into the Bourne universe and not even a small army of brooms and tuxedos was going to get me out of that theater.



It's a film that does exactly what films should do. It whisks you away to a world that is completely unlike your own. Sure I appreciate cinema that reflects and/or documents reality because it makes me think and inspires me to act. However, that can be exhausting and frankly, not very much fun. Sometimes I just need a movie that appears as though it has been choreographed to the music of a great Mozart symphony: fast-paced, clever, and sexy as hell.



So yeah. I fucking loved this movie. And while I'd be happy and totally satisfied if a trilogy is all we're going to get, I'd be lying if I said a fourth one wouldn't be the mini cherry on top of the regular cherry on top of the sundae of awesomeness that is the Bourne franchise. Sadly, Robert Ludlum only wrote three books and it would probably be best if the films honored that. So let's move on and perhaps find another action thriller series Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon can collaborate on. I have absolutely no idea what that would be but I don't get paid to come up with these ideas. Screenwriters of the world...are you listening? Call your agents, get a meeting, and start pitching!

No comments: