Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The World's Greatest Nachos

Last night I finally took it upon myself to try and recreate the greatest food I've ever put in my mouth. What was it, you ask? None other than the infamous BBQ nachos from the Rum Boogie Cafe in Memphis. I'd been having barbecue almost every day for the last week before we rolled into Memphis but I knew the moment we arrived there I was about to encounter the best of the best. I was right. The ribs from Blues City Cafe were fantastic and utterly authentic. This wasn't really a surprise though. I fully expected to taste great ribs in Memphis. What I didn't expect was to find the world's greatest nachos.

Whoever decided to put BBQ sauce on nachos instead of taco sauce or salsa...well they deserve an automatic place in heaven. The taste is unparalleled and I'm now going to add it to my nachos any time I have the opportunity. So while I know I'm never going to be able to replicate the actual barbecue found in the Rum Boogie Cafe nachos, I think I've created a recipe that is a fantastic substitute. Give this one a whirl...you won't regret it.

Z's BBQ Nachos (makes 2 servings)

-half of a rotisserie chicken, chopped
-cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar)
-a few handfuls of tortilla chips
-1/4 cup green onions
-1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers
-1/2 cup chopped lettuce
-1/2 to 3/4 cup of Velveeta cheese, melted

Besides just throwing all of this stuff on top of the chips, the only thing you really have to do is season the chicken. I toss it with the spices listed above and I also recommend heating the chopped chicken pieces in a small saute pan with half of the BBQ sauce. The remaining sauce can be drizzled on top of the assembled nachos.

This recipe can be altered in a thousand different ways but this one is almost exactly the same as the original. And trust me...the original is as good as it gets.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Miss Organizized said...

DIES.

Thanks for letting me have a bite of the precious nachos!! Between those, the meatballs, and my homemade macncheese, I think BBQ sauce is having the Best Week Ever!

Amanda said...

Haha...it IS having the Best Week Ever! Mom said we should make them for Family Christmas and I concurred!

nik von H said...

The word 'concur' makes me think of Leo in Catch Me if You Can.