Thursday, November 1, 2007

Hot guys, PSLs, and simpler times

I'm taking a few minutes away from my crazy day to blog. Yeah I promised not to blog about anything too stupid and pointless but I feel like these particular sentiments deserve some attention.

I've had a rough couple of weeks. Despite the overall awesome month I've been struggling with some personal relationships and issues at work. I haven't done the best job of keeping a positive attitude but I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I was just too exhausted to rise above it. Now, however, I think it's absolutely necessary that I rise above it. I want to be happy and wallowing in the negativity because I'm "too tired" to do anything else is just stupid. I will say that several things have kept me from throwing myself off the roof of the building and I want to take this time to appreciate those things.

Every time a hot guy saved my sanity I thought of this fantastic quote from the film Beautiful Girls:

A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay.

I've always felt this way about hot guys and it proved especially true this past week. Whether it was the yummy new apartment manager smiling at me in the hallway, a co-worker who helped me out when I was drowning in paperwork, or the sexy bartender who talked to my step-dad about beer while simultaneously shooting me flirtatious grins, I was reminded that the world can be such a beautiful place when I'm in the presence of an attractive guy who makes me feel attractive. There's nothing better in the world.

The other thing I found to be helpful is having your senses comforted. I never really realized it until my sis pointed out a passage from a blog she found but it's so true. A warm bath, a soft blanket, happy music, or a hot cup of yummy such as a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks always, always makes a person feel better after a hard day.

Lastly, I think the best thing anyone can do is simplify. Like my sis mentioned in her blog, our mantra lately has been "simpler times." Eating pizza and drinking cocktails with good friends before the Aussie Floyd show. Watching Alien Resurrection the night before Halloween and then reading all about the Alien series on Wikipedia the next morning. The crazy little things that at the time seem so insignificant...those are the things that matter. Why focus on how unfair life is or how stupid people can be when you can focus on the "simpler times."

I hope I can remember to keep all of this stuff in mind in the weeks to come. It's easy to revert back to my pessimistic ways but right now, at this moment, I can't think of a single reason to be unhappy.

6 comments:

nik von H said...

let's make out.

Amanda said...

Okay.

Jen said...

It's funny, I think you, Katie and I all had the same week!! I told your mom after reading Katie's blog that if you took out the part of already discovering the pumpkin spice latte, I could have written that word for word! I think I have to stop at starbucks tomorrow morning or I'll be the one jumping off the roof!

Diana Laurence said...

Nicole and Manzi, break it up! LOL This was a great post, Z, and I have lost track of the times I've used Les Stroud as a coping mechanism (gives a whole new meaning to the term "Survivorman," hey?). I'm digging this "simpler times" mantra too. My job is becoming "complicated-er times" so I'm going for simpler in my off hours!

Miss Organizized said...

Yay! I'm glad you wrote this! And so far it's working :) It's only Tuesday, but so far I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders here at work. Let's hope it continues!!

nik von H said...

HAhaaaaa