Monday, June 9, 2008

May hodgepodgery

So jeez louise, I'm finally getting to this blog entry. At least June hasn't reached the double digits yet. But every month I'm going to try a little harder to get this thing done a little sooner. Enough chatter though...let's get down to it.

1. Finish notes on all Hitchcock films

Sadly I was only able to do notes on one film this month, but at least it was a good one. I'm going to try MUCH harder in June, I promise ;)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)



As much as I like Hitch's 1956 remake of this film, I found the 1934 version to be vastly superior. It was much scarier, violent, and daring especially for its time. And then there's Peter Lorre. The man is a genius. Makes me wish Hitch would have utilized him in his later films.

5. Go on a date

Yes, the one thing I was CONVINCED I wouldn't be able to accomplish on this list happened, and it only took until May ;) I met a waiter, gave him my number, and we went to dinner at Flannery's. Despite him ending up to be a real a-hole, the date was a really good time. We had some nice conversations and I got a free meal and a few beers out of it. So what did little Zeetlebee learn? Definitely go on more dates...but stay away from bad texters with a Peter Pan complex.

12. Go to the Milwaukee Art Museum

So the art museum has been open for about 7 years now and I finally got around to going. Wow am I glad I put this on my list and thanks to Aunt Martha's dedication to the art scene (and membership to the MAM which got us all in free!) I got to tour one incredible facility and some beautiful pieces of art. It was one of the best experiences I've had in awhile.









13. Eat at one new restaurant every month

Okay so what I lacked in book reading and Hitch viewing, I made up for and then some in my restaurant-going. I had a DELICIOUS falafel pita at Cafe Lulu, some very yummy BBQ (and the best mac & cheese EVER) at Smoque in Chicago, one of the tastiest and most innovative dishes I've ever had...



...Crab Cake Tater Tots at Cafe Calatrava at the art museum, really scrumptious chili cheese fries at Red Robin, and finally some ridiculously good Reuben Rolls from the Mader's stand at RiverSplash.

15. Donate $5 to 1-3 charities of your choosing every month

This month I donated to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. I specifically requested that my money go toward juvenile diabetes research, and I made my donation in honor of a woman named Samantha Jankins. I heard her story on WKLH one morning and it inspired me in a way I don't know if I could ever describe in words. I'll just say that it made me want to be stronger and more grateful for what I have.

21. Watch at least one documentary every month



This month I watched In the Shadow of the Moon, a documentary about the Apollo space missions. Speaking of inspiring, this was an incredible film. Not only are these old guys the warmest, most good-humored guys on the planet, they have such amazing stories to tell. You won't look at your time here on earth in the same way once you see this...and you, each and every one of you, should see it.

25. Buy 15 classic albums from the Rolling Stone 500

I bought two this month!

The Mamas & the Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears



Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend




So there you have it! May was definitely a feast for the senses, and I loved every second...even the bad ones :)

2 comments:

Miss Organizized said...

WOW! What a freaking month! I mean I think I say that every time, but still :) All that food talk is making me crazy though. SO GOOD!!! But yeah, PS, I think you get way more done with your list than I ever do. What is my problem?!? Haha! Well done Zeetlebug!

Amanda said...

I know, it's the weirdest thing...like during the month I feel like I don't do anything. But then it takes me hours to do the update and I'm like, okay? I guess I must have done something! Your list is A LOT harder than mine though so I wouldn't feel like you're slacking. I just set the bar really low for myself ;)