Sunday, May 11, 2008

Forever in blue jeans



He took my hand and began to run. At first I was annoyed but when he looked back at me with that smile, I had to laugh. Then he laughed. And that's when I realized that everything that had come before this moment meant nothing. I had finally found the one thing that had always been missing. What was it? Not the cool sand on my sunburned feet or the feeling of evening breezes against my face and in my hair. Was it him? His smile and the way he let me collapse into him at a moment's notice? No. It was me. I had finally found the version of myself I'd been trying to find for years. And not even the rough tug of his hand around my wrist, forcing my exhausted body to run and leap about like a child felt like a burden. Life would always be hard, but now I lived for it.

For J.

3 comments:

Diana Laurence said...

What a lovely little story, Manzi! You needed some J escapism after this particular day, hey? I tell you, many an animus-bearer has gotten me through a tough time, so I know whereof you speak. Sigh...

Miss Organizized said...

OMG DAMN you're a good writer! I LOVED that!!!!

Amanda said...

Awww thanks! I'll always remember how I felt the night I wrote it. For whatever reason, it was one of the happiest moments I've ever experienced :)