Thursday, December 6, 2007

The most wonderful time of the year

When the holiday season rolls around and most people are thinking Santa...Eggnog...carols, I'm thinking Chicago Critics...Golden Globes...Director's Guild. Now don't get me wrong, I love the holidays as much as the next guy. It's fun and cozy and I adore all the little traditions my family has created over the years. But as a film buff, the highlight of the year for me is awards season. It is not only a time to celebrate the year's cinematic gems but also a time to reflect upon all the great memories I have that are associated with those films. Having dinner with Jen and Greg at a lovely seafood restaurant in Madison after 3:10 to Yuma and discussing Russell Crowe's career. Getting drinks at the Bad Genie with Katie, John, Ross and Amanda, and comparing No Country for Old Men to Fargo. While I primarily celebrate films for their technical and creative achievements, I can't help but embrace them for providing me with such a plethora of happy moments.

Today award season truly began with the announcement of the National Board of Review winners. If the NBR is any indication of what's to come, things are going to work out very well for the films and actors I'm rooting for this year. Here's a quick rundown of all my peeps who picked up awards last night...

Best Film
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Ryan, GONE BABY GONE

Best Ensemble Cast
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Best Directorial Debut
Ben Affleck, GONE BABY GONE

Best Adapted Screenplay
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Best Animated Feature
RATATOUILLE

Congrats to all the winners! :)

No comments: