Thursday, December 13, 2007

Golden Globs, indeed

Let me start this post off by saying...what the hell is with seven, yes, seven films being nominated for Best Drama this year?? Was it really THAT hard to narrow it down to five? I don't get it. This isn't the National Board of fucking Review here. Oh well. I think if they hadn't decided to give nods to so many films, American Gangster probably would have been left out of the mix. So I guess I should thank them for that.

The other interesting thing about the Globs this year is that they are facing some potential backlash from SAG members who are on strike. There's a really strong possibility people are going to boycott the ceremony or worse, cancel the whole thing. Now I wouldn't mind all that much if this went down. The actual Golden Globs ceremony can get tedious and relatively pointless especially now that the Oscars are held in February and everyone just wants to zip past everything to get to that. I sincerely hope, however, that the writers and the studios can reach an agreement by February because the Oscars will also be vulnerable to the strike. I just want to see Javier hold a tiny, golden man in his arms. Is that really so much to ask??

Well getting back to the subject at hand, some very great films and performances have been nominated and I want to take the time to recognize them. Rather than list every nod though I'm just going to call attention to my faves. And here they are in no particular order.

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA
American Gangster
No Country for Old Men


BEST MOTION PICTURE - COMEDY/MUSICAL
Juno
Sweeney Todd


BEST ACTOR - DRAMA
Denzel Washington, American Gangster
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA
Jodie Foster, The Brave One
Julie Christie, Away From Her

BEST ACTOR - MUSICAL/COMEDY
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Savages
Tom Hanks, Charlie Wilson's War

BEST ACTRESS - MUSICAL/COMEDY
Amy Adams, Enchanted
Ellen Page, Juno

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone

BEST DIRECTOR
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
Ridley Scott, American Gangster

BEST SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody, Juno
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men

I'm not even going to address the nods for TV just because, well, I honestly don't care this year. Bravo reality programming will never be in contention and apparently fantastic shows like Lost and Friday Night Lights just aren't worthy and thus I really don't have much use for the television side of the Globs.

So congrats to all the peeps and movies that were nominated this year. While I hope my favorites pick up awards, what I really hope for is a resolution to the writers strike. These are the people who truly deserve reward and recognition, and it will be difficult to support the industry as a whole until they get it.

No comments: