Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Love me some Oscar nods

Well as much as I can't believe it, the Oscar nominations come out in two days. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my social circle that cares, but when has that ever stopped me from obsessing over them? This year there's a REALLY good crop of movies out there for the picking so even if the Academy Awards don't interest you, I think the films that will be nominated are definitely worth checking out. Whether it's a brilliant performance, amazing script, or phenomenal cinematography and sound, the Oscar nods can be a very useful guide for what to see in the theater or put on the top of your Netflix list.

So in honor of this momentous occasion, I'm going to do what I do every year and predict the nominations for the six big categories.

* - what/who I'm currently pulling for

BEST PICTURE

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
*Slumdog Millionaire


Wildcard: The Reader

BEST DIRECTOR

David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant - Milk
*Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Wildcard: Stephen Daldry - The Reader

BEST ACTOR

Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
*Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Wildcard: Richard Jenkins - The Visitor

BEST ACTRESS

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Sally Hawkins - Happy Go Lucky
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Meryl Streep - Doubt
*Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road

Wildcard: Kristen Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey, Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire

(*Um, this is by far the hardest category from which to choose a favorite...which is okay since it won't matter in the end)

Wildcard: Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Penelope Cruz - Vicky Christina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Amy Adams - Doubt
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
*Kate Winslet - The Reader

Wildcard: Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Happy-Go-Lucky
Milk
Rachel Getting Married
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
*Wall-E


Wildcard: The Visitor

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
The Dark Knight
*Slumdog Millionaire


Wildcard: The Reader


And as a fun little aside, I thought I'd call attention to a list E-dubs put together this week. It's a tribute to what they consider the all-time worst Oscar snubs in history. Rather than give you the whole list (there were 100 after all), I'd like to simply point out the significance of #1 and #2. Actually, I don't even need to point it out. I think these pics will speak for themselves!





Now get your ass up and see some movies!!

No comments: