Wednesday, September 19, 2007

When you bleed Cubbie blue

Pennant races are exciting. When the Brewers lost complete control of their 8 game lead in the NL central back in June/July and the Cubs took the reigns I was hoping it would come down to this. A fight to the death for a playoff spot both teams have been after for years. The Brewers haven't made the playoffs since 1982 and the Cubbies have been looking for a chance to redeem themselves since the Steve Bartman travesty of 2003. It's a baseball thriller you couldn't script but now that we're nearing the end and the Brewers and Cubs are once again tied for first I can't help but retract the desire I had three months ago for a neck and neck race to the finish line.



Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy that the Cubs are even in the race at all considering they were indescribably awful last year. Their playoff hopes were pretty much dashed in June. I guess the problem lies in the fact that because they're in this race, there's a 50% chance I'm going to have my heart seriously broken in a few weeks. I've been a Cub fan for a long time but this is the year I realized how truly important this team is to me. At one point the Brewers were 14 above .500 and the Cubs were 7 below .500 and now look at where we are. The Cubbies overcame was seemed like an insurmountable obstacle. Yes, it helped that the Brewers completely collapsed in July and then again in August. However, it's a lot more difficult to come back from behind then it is to blow a giant lead. I was and remain so proud of every single member of this team it often creates a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.



Now I wouldn't change a single thing about this season if I could. It's been one of the greatest sports seasons I've experienced in my life. I guess I'm just feeling a little sad now that we're getting to the end. And it's less about the Cubs losing the pennant race to the Brewers and more about how much I'm going to miss seeing these guys play every day. How much I'm going to miss seeing all those fans at Wrigley Field, listening to Pat & Ron the radio, and visiting the Cubs' Yahoo! Sports page religiously.



More than anything though I'm going to miss how close this team has brought me to my parents. All those lazy Saturday and Sunday afternoons we gathered together in the living room to watch WGN or sat on the patio listening to the soothing sounds of Pat, Ron and Wrigley Field. All the conversations we had in the kitchen about how amazing...or not amazing the Cubs had played that day. These are the moments that have made me the Cubs fan I am today. I'm now convinced that if you cut me open, my veins would twist like the ivy on the outfield wall at Wrigley and I'd bleed Cubbie blue. The downside of this kind of fandom is of course the aching disappointment of my team missing out at a shot at the World Series. But the upside is something I can't even describe. It's the reward that comes with the kind of patience, commitment, and hope only a Cub fan can and will ever understand.

No comments: